Bringing Back Farmed Salmon
We’re Proud to Partner with Skuna Bay Vancouver Island Craft Raised Salmon
The farmed salmon industry has been rife with problems: ocean pollution, high density pens that require antibiotics to mitigate disease, artificial colorings, growth hormones, sea bed degradation, and irresponsibly harvested fish feed. Which is why we stopped selling it at our Markets over 12 years ago.
We recently discovered Skuna Bay Vancouver Island Craft Raised Salmon in British Columbia, Canada, a true pioneer of sustainable seafood. Unlike most farmed salmon options, Skuna Bay’s product is responsibly produced and absolutely delicious.
We’re proud to support the positive changes that have been made in an industry that has, historically, had a negative environmental impact and resulted in a poor quality product.
Reasons why Skuna Bay is an industry leader:
- The fish are raised in glacier-fed waters, with perfect salinity and strong tidal currents that result in great tasting and well textured salmon.
- Each fish is hand selected and cleaned, with only 6% of the fish making the Skuna Bay grade.
- Each fish is fully traceable, down to the day it was harvested and by whom it was processed.
- Pens have very low density with only 1.5% fish to 98.5% ocean water.
- Currently 33% of Skuna Bay’s farms are fallow, allowing seabeds to rest and regenerate.
- Skuna Bay’s fish are always minimum 8 lbs in weight, all year long.
- Skuna Bay feed has less than 25% fish meal or fish oil and their “fish in, fish out” ratio is approaching 1:1.
- All fish feed used in Skuna Bay feed is from sustainably certified fisheries.
- No artificial dyes or colorants are used.
- Skuna Bay partnered with Thermafresh to deliver a patented, cardboard box that is made up of 95% recycled materials.
- Fish ship carbon neutral thanks to a partnership with TerraPass.
- Skuna Bay is rated yellow, a Good Alternative, by the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch.